Wednesday 7 August 2013

Tom's campaign blog #4: "No-one cares and they never will"



We always love hearing from you, whatever you’ve got to say. And the overwhelming majority of what you’ve told us about Push For Action so far has been incredibly positive, which makes us especially happy.

But, of course, we get less positive feedback too. Sometimes people are angry with us – frustrated that we haven’t been able to do more where they live. Occasionally people feel like we’ve not represented their views as well as we could have. And often, people are feel tired and frustrated with campaigning, and simply seem to be asking us: “What’s the point?”

The below is a message sent to me a couple of months ago in response to a request to support the Push for Action campaign:

“I would but it won’t work so I won’t do it. Honestly, I would push that big red button 20 million times if I believed this could really happen. No-one’s going to fund it, no-ones going to listen. We’ve been trying to get people to listen [where I live] for 3 years. Nothing changes no matter how flash you make your website look or how many people you convince to press your red button. Sorry.”

And here’s an extract from another more recent letter on a similar theme:

“As we both know, the Autism Act is a pointless piece of paper and quite why the NAS celebrated when it came into law I will never know. The act has no claws, there is no penalty for a local authority who does not or is unwilling to set up services for Autistic adults.

There is no preventative action and I doubt there ever will be. Clearly they would rather risk the costs of sectioning someone rather than help them. So I despair when you ask me to push for action, because there is very little point, they will not listen to me and they cannot be made to anything.”
I suspect these correspondents speak for many of you. Scratch that – I know they do, because we talk to lots of you who feel the same: you feel like you’ve been screaming into the abyss for weeks, months, years – and you don’t want to fight any more.

So in an attempt to answer to more of you than just those who have taken the trouble to write in, here is an extract from my response to the second writer I have quoted for those of you who are perhaps feeling disillusioned. I know we'll never convince everyone to get involved, but I want to make it clear to you why we ask you to to begin with.

“Thank you for getting in touch with your thoughts, I appreciate it. I disagree with a few of your points but I also entirely understand and share your frustration.



I disagree with your point that the Autism Act is pointless. It isn't perfect, but it does – for the first time – set out in law that someone, both within the Department of Health and at each local level, has to take responsibility for improving the lot of adults with autism. That might not seem like much, but because of that and the other duties set out in the statutory guidance that came out of the Act, we are genuinely beginning to see some very good progress in parts of the country – and levels of progress that we certainly would not have seen without the Autism Act.



But – and this is a significant 'but' – we haven't seen nearly enough of that progress. Too many local authority areas have been able to get away with doing very little or almost nothing at all. Most of those who are making steps forward are doing so too slowly and too patchily. Times are tough financially, but that's no reason not to ensure they are meeting the needs of a significant chunk of their local populations, particularly as there is now statutory guidance telling them to do so.



There is currently far too little preventative action out there, I absolutely agree. But I hope and sincerely believe that the Autism Act – backed by the Push for Action campaign and our army of campaigners – will change that. I am a professional campaigner, and I do this job because I know that it works. When people come together round a common issue, have a legitimate complaint and a clear pragmatic solution to resolve it, and make enough 'noise' in the right way, it really can and does get results. It's rarely easy or quick – and of course it won't always work. But I'll tell you this: the areas where we've seen real progress are almost always the areas where there's a strong campaigning presence. And that's no coincidence.



It is absolutely your choice as to whether or not you want to get involved, and as much as I'd love to have your support I am not going to implore you to do something you don't want to do. But I do firmly believe that the autism community working together is the only way of achieving real, lasting change across the country. That's why we launched Push for Action – to give people something to get behind, to work together on, to push for change in their communities.”

Tom Madders.
Head of Campaigns

No comments:

Post a Comment